Category: Studying

UKEC Student FAQs

How do I get my documents translated into English, and which documents need to be translated?

You need to ensure that all documents that you have for your application, that are not in English, also have a translated copy. This is applicable for both your university and visa applications. You need to submit both the original and translated copies of your documents.

Your translated documents MUST include:

  • Confirmation from the translator/translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document.
  • The date of the translation.
  • The full name and original signature of the translator, or of an authorised official of the translation company.
  • The contact details of the translator or translation company.

Full information on translating your documents can be found here; Translated Documents: What You Need to Know


How long does a visa take to come through, and what documents do I need for my application?

The amount of time it takes for students to be granted a study visa varies, depending on the home country, university, and time of year. In general, we recommend allowing at least 3 months to ensure that you get your visa in time for enrolment at your university.

The documents you MUST have when applying for your visa include:

  • Completed online Tier 4 visa application
  • Valid tuberculosis test certificate
  • Valid passport
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (paid during the online application)
  • Photographs that meet the Home Office requirements
  • ATAS certificate (if applicable)
  • All qualifications listed in CAS statement
  • Evidence of finances that meet Tier 4 policy requirements
  • If using a parent’s bank account, you must provide parent’s bank statements, birth certificate or family register confirming relationship between yourself and your parent, and letter from parent(s) confirming they will financially sponsor your studies
  • Letters from any financial sponsors

Find more information and details here; Applying for Your UK Student Visa


What are the rules surrounding submitting bank statements as proof of funding?

The two main things to note when submitting personal bank statements are:

  • Personal bank statements from certain international banks cannot be used as financial evidence in your Tier 4 Visa application. 
  •  If your funds are not in British Pounds Sterling (GBP), you must use the currency exchange rates on the OANDA website on the day you submit your application and write the amount in GBP next to the closing balance.

Your funds MUST also have been in your account for at least 28 days prior to your application being made.

Full information can be found here; Personal Bank Statements: What You Need to Know


What are the IELTS requirements, and what can I do if I don’t meet them?

The IELTS requirements vary according to course and university entry requirements, but generally tend to fall between 5.0 and 7.0, and can be subject to minimum scores in each component.

Check your university profile to find out what their minimum IELTS requirements are.

Find out more here; IELTS - Commonly Asked Questions


How do I write a personal statement?

Your UKEC education consultant will help you through your personal statement, checking over it for you before you submit it as part of your university application.

The main things to remember when writing your personal statement are that you need to tell the universities you are applying to:

  • Why you are applying
  • Why the university should accept you
  • Why you want to study in the UK

Take a look at our full guide here; How to Write a Personal Statement


How do I write a CV?

When writing your CV, you need to make sure that you are promoting yourself in the best way to employers, highlighting the key skills needed for the particular job you are applying for. Take a look online for CV templates to help you structure all of your information.

Within your CV you should include:

  • Your education
  • Your skills and talents
  • Your previous work history, including any volunteering or unpaid work experience
  • Your hobbies (anything that adds to your skill set and makes you more attractive to employers)

Find more information here; How to Write a CV


Be sure to also take a look at our Documents Checklist: What You Need to Study in the UK guide to applying for your chosen universities and courses.


If you have any further questions speak to your education consultant directly, or contact the office on


Keep up to date with all things UKEC on our Facebook and Instagram.


Cover image: