The UK is home to some of the best higher education institutions in the world, with almost a fifth of the world’s top 100 universities. Students who study here receive not just a prestigious education, but also a truly international and culturally enriching experience. It is a great opportunity for students to develop their English language skills, and gain experience that will enable them to stand out in the global employment market.


What do you need to apply for a UK undergraduate degree?

A-Levels/International Baccalaureate (or equivalent) – A-Levels are the standard qualifications that most UK students hold. Some countries across the world also offer A-Levels, or the International Baccalaureate (IB). The entry requirements generally vary between universities and courses. Your UKEC education consultant will be able to advise you on whether your qualifications are acceptable.


Foundation Degree – If your chosen university requires a higher level of previous study before you can be accepted on to your chosen undergraduate degree, you may have to study a foundation course. Tailor made for international students, they usually take 6 months to a year to complete. You can, more often than not, complete a foundation degree at a dedicated international college which is part of your university, leading straight through to your undergraduate degree.


SELT – This is a test which proves your English language abilities. The majority of students will require one to be able to meet the entry requirements at their chosen university, and be able to qualify for their UK visa. The standard scores required vary from 5.0 – 7.0 for undergraduate study, and 4.5 - 6.0 for foundation level. Students from certain countries are exempt from needing SELT as proof of their English language proficiency, for example students from Malaysia who hold a 1119 can use this as proof. Again, your education consultant will advise on whether you need a SELT qualification, and what scores you need.


Funding – UK undergraduate fees for international students range from around £10,000 to £14,000, with living costs around £8,000 to £10,500, per year. In order to qualify for a Tier 4 Student Visa, you must be able to prove that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees and living expenses, or have other ways of funding your studies in the UK. Your education consultant will be able to advise you on the exact details of this, as it varies based on the location of your university within the UK.


The most common UK undergraduate degree classifications are; BA (Bachelor of Arts), BSc (Bachelor of Science), BEng (Bachelor of Engineering), BFA (Bachelor of Fine Art) and LLB (Bachelor of Law).


Message Sent, Success