Keele University

History

  • The University College of North Staffordshire opened in 1950 and was the first new university of the twentieth century.
  • UCNS was renamed as Keele University in 1962; the quickest evolution from a University College to University in the UK.
  • In 1969 Keele was described as "the most original innovation in British university education in the 20th century".
  • The "Keele Experiment" tested the principles of a modern University education, featuring a broad inter-disciplinary approach and the first dual honours degrees in the UK.
  • Community and collegiality are founding ideals and the Keele experience became a template for later campus universities.
  • In 1981 Keele University declared independence and sought recognition from the UN as the Free Republic of Keele; the move was in protest against cuts in educational funding. Independence lasted for one week.
  • HRH Princess Margaret was President and Chancellor from 1956 to 1986.
  • The extensive Keele estate was originally a mediaeval Templar manor; the first Keele Hall was built in 1580 and rebuilt in 1860. The Sneyd family owned the Keele estate continuously from 1540 to 1949.

Location and Transport

  • Located in Staffordshire, at the heart of the UK, Keele is easily accessible from anywhere in the country. Set in over 620 acres of woodland, parkland and formal gardens, the University is within an hour's drive of Manchester and Birmingham, and just one and a half hours by train to London.
  • We offer a safe and friendly community atmosphere, with some 62% of undergraduate students living on campus, along with many postgraduate students and over 170 staff families.
  • We also have a small academic campus at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, which houses both educational activities and research.
  • A key strategic aim of the University is to promote a campus environment that embraces and promotes sustainability, and aspires to become a sustainable community.
  • Local buses run between campus, the hospital site and surrounding towns every 15 minutes.